Panasonic G2 and Sigma MF 28-70mm F2.8

I have been looking for some time for a low budget zoom that should fit within the midrange focal length between 20mm and 80mm (in fact, this will be 40mm to 160mm on my camery due to its crop factor 2). But It should not just be a zoom ... I was looking at least for an open apterure of 2.8.
You probably know, my Lumix G2 is a Microfourthirds system camera and therefore it is not very hard to connect some kind of (typically old analogue) lenses to it. And as I already have a converter for the classical Canon FD mount I was primarily looking for such a suitable lense.


Some days ago I detected a Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 zoom lens for FD mount on eBay. It has been manufactured in the first half of the 1990s and on my G2 it would have a focal distance of about 56-140mm ;-)  Well, yes, this would fit quite well in the range that I was looking for! Cool! But it has been hard to find information about it in the net but I found this Pentax related page where it is listed .... Perhaps not a hotseller in  its days, but who knows ....


Anyway, I had luck with my bid and with shipment included I had to pay just about 50 € for the lens, caps, lens hood and a 72mm B+W filter.

Lumix G2 with Lumix G 20mm/F1.7, ISO 800, 1/80s, F1.8
Of course, I took soon the chance to try it in the wild ;-) Last week, the senior basketball team of TB Erlangen had the opportunity to participate in video production for an advertising film. Will there be a better chance to play with a new toy? Certainly not!

The gymnasium has been changed into a production hall. It looked liked on this photo right here. Please, don't worry about this picture, it is *not* made with the Sigma lens. Instead I have used the Lumix G 20mm/1.7. It is just to give an impression about how the hall has been looking and what they did with the light.


The following pictures have all been taken with the Sigma lens. Although it contradicts the concept of Microfourthirds (a weight of more than 550g ...) it makes really fun to use it: it is built solid, its adjustments run very smooth and the rubber on the focus and focal length rings have a really good grip!
My first impression on the optical behaviour: I like it!! You probably know my G2 is not the best device for low light scenes - but nevertheless this lens captures a nice atmosphere. Just take a look at the following pictures, which have all been processed with the darktable raw converter:

Lumix G2 with Sigma 28-70 1:2.8, ISO 1250, 1/200s, f/2.8

Lumix G2 with Sigma 28-70 1:2.8, ISO 1600, 1/125s, (aperture  probably 2.8)

Lumix G2 with Sigma 28-70 1:2.8, ISO 1250, 1/250s, f/2.8

Lumix G2 with Sigma 28-70 1:2.8, ISO 1250, 1/250s, f/2.8

Lumix G2 with Sigma 28-70 1:2.8, ISO 1250, 1/250s, f/2.8

Lumix G2 with Sigma 28-70 1:2.8, ISO 1600, 1/100s, f/2.8


Setting the focus correctly is not an easy task within the
range of 3 to 5+ meters.
There is just one point which is hard to handle with this Sigma lens: setting the focus *exactly* to one point between 3 and 5+ meters is not an easy task as the focus ring is really small in this range (oooh yes, .... here the focus peaking feature of the NEX-5n would be a big point ....).

Well, saying its hard doesn't mean impossible. I also tried it during a real basketball game in the typical low light scene of a gymnasium: of course, I got some hits but even more non-hits ;-) In this area, the Olympus M.Zuiko 1.8/45mm gives much more performance and you have a chance to use the AF. 



Anyway, I like it and the next try will be out on the streets ....

Keine Kommentare

Powered by Blogger.